After a little more than a week of scrubbing tubes, mopping floors, and helping customers, I had my first real trial as an apprentice. Honestly, it came faster than I was expecting. Terry set up a scenario for this drawing and gave me some reference material to work off of, with the task of creating a line drawing that will stand the test of time as a tattoo. At first, it seemed to be going well, and Terry dropped by to check out my progress. Turns out, this isn’t just a scenario…this is going on someone’s leg. Reality check! I realized shortly afterwards that the project is much more complicated than I first thought, as I had to have the pattern repeat in a perfect ring around the tree…no easy feat!
I had spent quite awhile on the drawing, and Terry dropped by once again. He liked what I had done, but there was a problem. This is going on a guy’s leg, and my design is decidedly feminine. Oops! I completely forgot to keep gender in mind. Because of this, I decided to take the drawing home and rework it.
More on this project to come later…
I still have a ton of stuff to do, but I managed to squeeze in a little art time. Inking in the top portion of this naga went fine…I think the scales might kill me. First, I redrew the damned things 4 times before I was reasonably happy with the layout. That’s not including the tracing for transfer. Now I’m starting to ink them in, and the results so far are “meh”. It’s easy to pull off that motion when you’re using a pen or a pencil…not so much when using a brush.
“Death” Rawr. Ok, I’m fairly sure this isn’t what my mentor meant by practicing with a brush and ink, but it was fun anyway. The “death” typography was tossed in there at the last moment to fill up the blank space on the paper. I just wanted something that would keep with the flow of the original design.
Fun with skulls! I might mention that this includes my first attempt at tribal. Hooray? I might also mention that handsome fellow in the bowler hat is named Dapper Dan (the skeletal man). Yes, I’m a dork.
Another day, another sketch of a skull in a rose, totally different results. Yet again, I want to come back to this one and do a final version of it. I think it would make for a cool t-shirt. The one major thing I’d change up is the lettering. Typographically speaking, it has zero to do with the drawing. All of this sketching and no final versions is killing me. I’ve got to stay focused and fill up this book. Arrrrggggg.
The design that started it all. I’m in the process of having this done on my chest, and I’ll be sure to take a photo of it when it’s done. And to think…this started out as a small pink ribbon!